Thursday, August 23, 2007

Vintage Recipe - 19th Century Indian Chetney


When I'm buying and selling antiques, I often come across and enjoyable vintage recipe or two. A few weeks ago, I came across a fun very old cookbook, that I just haven't had the heart to part with yet. It's certainly not a beauty, but this ugly book has made my mouth water, caused me to guffaw out loud, and has amazed me. It's entitled The A & P Every Day Cook Book.


I've not found a copyright date, but it is definitely before the use of the modern stove or standard cooking measures.

What's so fascinating about this book? It has amazing recipes (and many quite bizarre recipes) of which I've never heard the like. It also has recipes for 'cometiques' and household hints.

With my passion for all things Victorian & Edwardian, this silly little book will just have to stay with me for a bit longer.

It contains many fascinating recipes, and some pretty gross recipes including the recipe for headcheese. I'll share some of the recipes and helpful hints in this blog as well as other fun vintage recipes I've collected through the years.

Now, what to share first...Something funny or a recipe? Or a funny recipe?

I'll start with a recipe that maybe a good cook could easily adapt to modern methods. I've taken the liberty of making it look a little more like a modern recipe.


Indian Chetney

8 oz sharp, sour apples - pared and cored
8 oz Tomatoes
8 oz salt
8 oz browned sugar
8 oz Stoned Raisins
4 oz cayenne pepper
4 oz powdered ginger
2 oz garlic
2 oz shallots
3 quarts vinegar
1 quart lemon juice

  1. Chop the apples in small square pieces and add to them the other ingredients.
  2. Mix the whole well together, and put in a well-covered jar.
  3. Keep jar in a warm place, and stir every day for a month, taking care to put on the lid after this operation.
  4. Strain, but do not squeeze it dry. Reserve liquor as it will serve as an excellent sauce for meat or fish.
  5. Store the chetney away in clean jars or bottles for use.
I would definitely not recommend preparing this recipe as the written, but I may try to make it like I would a salsa and can it.

1 comment:

Rochelle R. said...

I have a lot of vintage cookbooks and I have noticed some call for "raisins, seeded" or seedless rasins. I see this recipe calls for stoned raisins. I guess raisins were different in the past. Maybe people dried their own from seeded grapes. I agree some old recipes are just weird. I have one for chicken liver salad dressing.