Monday, November 24, 2008

Vintage Recipe - Date Cake

Yummy date cake! I haven't tried this one yet but I have the dates, so maybe next weekend. Looks sweet, so I will have to have a small piece.

Do you wonder why I share these fun recipes with you? Of course, to give back to the internet community, but also, I hope that occasionally one or two of my readers might actually check out some of my eBay items. Now on with the recipe.

Date Cake


1 cup dates
1¼ cups hot water
3 tsp baking soda
¾ cup shortening
2 cups sugar divided
2 eggs
2 cups flour
¾ tsp additional baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp salt


1. In sauce pan, add dates to the hot water. Add the 3 tsp baking soda and heat until hot and then let stand for 1 hour
2. After hour, mix shortening, 1/2 of sugar, 2 eggs, flour, salt, and the 3/4 tsp of additional baking soda.
3. Mix in date mixture and pour into greased baking pan.
4. Sprinkle chocolate chips, nuts, and other half of sugar on top
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

No comments: